A Carrot Cake for Spring
Are you ready for Spring? It always comes a little later for us here in Orkney. Carrot cake is a great cake for this time of year. The cake’s moist texture and delicate flavour pair perfectly with the fresh Spring vibes. Carrots are the cake’s signature ingredient. They add a natural sweetness that makes the cake less heavy and much less overwhelming than chocolate cakes.
For the icing, cream cheese is the perfect match for carrot cake’s sweetness. This cake is perfect for those who love a simple yet classic dessert. To add some pizzazz to your carrot cake, try adding chopped nuts or raisins to the mix before baking. You can also decorate your cake with fondant carrots or some Spring-themed decorations.
200ml Vegetable or sunflower oil
225g light brown soft sugar
225g self raising flour, sifted
250g grated carrots
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing…
50g Butter, room temperature
250g Full fat cream cheese
150g Icing sugar, sifted
teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to Gas 4/180°c, line 2 round 20cm cake tins.
- Put the oil and sugar into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well between each addition.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and spices until well combined.
- Add the carrots and mix until just combined. Divide evenly between the 2 tins.
- Bake on the top shelf of the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, until firm to the touch. Leave to cool in tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack
1. Using a hand held electric whisk, beat butter until soft, gradually add the full fat cream cheese, and beat until smooth
2. Add the icing sugar (all at once, along with the vanilla essence). Beat until thick, creamy and pale
3. Divide the icing between the middle and top of the cake
If you’re looking for a delicious and classic dessert to welcome the Spring season, look no further than carrot cake. It’s moist texture, delicate flavour, and natural sweetness make it the perfect dessert for the season. Whether you enjoy it as a dessert or a snack, carrot cake is sure to be a hit with everyone.
So get baking and enjoy this Springtime favourite!
Not sure you feel like whipping up your own cake, pop over to the tearoom where we serve a range of fresh baked sweet and savoury treats…